Boots

Boots

Friday, May 23, 2008

Excuses, excuses and.. promises

This was supposed to be easy. Leaving Delhi and coming to stay in Meghalaya in the Garo Hills was like moving from hell to heaven. Forests all around, lush green and inviting, rivers, elephants, rains, mosquitos and leeches! All the things that I loved. So how difficult could it be to write a couple of lines for my blog once in a while?
Apparently it was (not that I didn't contribute myself!). Here I present a list of excuses .. those of you who have been to northeast India, may find them familiar...
Electricity is a rare creature at most times of the year and 'fluctuates' between four hour powercuts per day to four day powercuts per week. When that happens there's not much you can do except to listen to the exceptionally elaborate orchestral melodies performed by an army of mosquitos.
The internet. Its amazing how we have taken to a 'broadband' connection and its associated perks in the cities. I hear myself complaining of the absence of a broadband line and the inability to rightfully download pirated movies and songs. Not to mention the inability to blog. Oh yeah, that was the original point of this whole ramble, wasn't it? Well, so here I was looking at this flimsy telephone line and the 'dialup connection'. You do remember it right, the one where the modem tries its best to sound like a mosquito near your ears? And then after 7 tries and disconnections you finally hit the jackpot and connect!
Just to realise that the day you'll access ANY website with this bitrate, it'll be winter in hell.
And just when it seemed there was no way this would work, from the gloom comes this brilliant inspiration. Email!!
Yes, like the amateur blogger that I am it took me some time to realise that you can post on Blogger through email. No more struggling with websites. Just send a mail and its posted automatically. So, there is hope after all.
Now, since there aren't any excuses left, the balls are firmly in my court. So, stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: